Followers

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Grimmwood Weekend

We really enjoyed our weekend at Grimmwood.

We started the weekend with a salad lunch.

I made up a  Dole chopped salad.So glad I picked up this pretty farm fresh bowl at Cracker Barrel several years ago. It is perfect at the farm.  And thanks to reader, Glenda, for letting me know that she tried the Dole Chopped Salad( Sunflower Seed and Bacon flavor) and she and her husband really enjoyed it. One thing I like about blogging is all  the products I find out about in various posts by savy bloggers.

Marvin got busy preparing some numbers for our drive. 911 requires a number for every home in the county.

I think he did a great job.

Miss May Field found her home!

As did Miss Star Land.

My friend, Susan, gave me some cows too!!

Marvin's mother had a match box similar to this when Marvin was growing up. When we found this one at the antique store, we knew it had to come home with us.

I am hoping to add a few more samplers to my sampler wall.

My Granddaddy Tankersley was a bee man so this sampler was done in his memory.

And last of all this picture....

My 86 year old mother still fries the BEST apple pies!! She dries her own apples each summer, cooks them up and uses them for filling. People all over the county know that her pies are a treasure. If she makes them for you, you are special.  I have said that I believe God will have Mother frying these pies in heaven. And believe me, there will be a long line of people waiting to get one.

11 comments:

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

Fried pies! Oh my! What a good memory! My great grandmother made green tomato pies and said, "anything is good if you put enough sugar on it!" What a dream come true to have such a wonderful place.

Arlene Grimm said...

Leslie Anne, once my Mother goes to heaven I will never have another pie as good as hers. Surely they will be served at her mansion in heaven. And I am eating my words about leaving my home town and never coming back. We truly enjoy our time there.

Linda said...

I love it when you post about Grimmwood!!
That salad looks delicious! Apple pies.....you are so blessed to have your mother still baking pies for you!!! My mother made Peach Cobbler and Texas Trash but at 90 - she doesn't do those anymore.
We leave tomorrow for the ranch! And guess what???
Amber and Mike and the quads are going to come down and tent camp there by our camper for a couple of days! How exciting!!

Mildred said...

Beautiful view from the porch behind Marvin in that first photo! Glad you got your address # assigned. The colors in your quilt really accent Miss Mayfield! I love your other cow decor items gifted by friends, too. The match holder was a great find. You know how I love your cross stitch samplers. So special that you have one honoring your grandfather. Oh, your mama's pies look so good. They remind me of my grandma's fried apple pies. So very happy that you enjoy your visits to Grimmwood!

Sandy said...

Mama makes fried pies with peaches. You are right...so good. I really need to pay better attention to her making those as well. I took pictures of her making dressing this past Thanksgiving so I could replicate it.
I love your cows and stitching wall. I know you are loving your little getaway from the regular life. Kind of makes you wonder why we can't live so simply everyday?!

Terri D said...

The salad looks SO good, but those pies....oh my goodness!! I love your country-style decorations The cows are great! We had a match 'box' similar to that one hanging on the kitchen wall. Stick matches were used to light the pilot in the furnace and relight the pilot in the stove...lighting candles and even cigarettes (back before Bic Lighters). Memories, memories!!

Mary Hutchins said...

Enjoyed visiting with you today. WoW, those fried pies looked good!!

Gina said...

Those pies look dangerous! I could eat quite a few!

Hello to the cows and love your matchbox. And of course the samplers near the coffee bar!!!

Marvin did a great job with the numbers. :-)

Mari said...

Everything looks great at Grimwood! Marvin did good with the numbers and I love your sampler wall.
Those fried pies look so yummy. I never heard of drying apples and making filling. Is it a lot of work?

Arlene Grimm said...

Mari, yes, peeling and drying the apples is hard work When I was a girl we often spread the apple slices out on kitchen towels and put them on the porch roof. Later my daddy put some tin on saw horses for us to put he apples on. After they were dried, they went into the freezer until they were needed. It really makes all the difference in the world in regards to taste. My mother's crust is relish too...she uses a variation of her biscuit recipe. My sisters tell me that they have perfected it...I hope they have!!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks for all your comments today. I will tell Mother that her fried pies are a hit online as well. Sandy, I have heard of the fried peach pies as well but since we had an apple orchard, we always had apple pies.