Followers

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Meet Julia

Several friends have asked me if I had heard about the new character on Sesame Street and yes I have!

This is Julia...she is a muppet with Autism.  Isn't she cute? The bunny in her hand reminds me of my sweet spectrum boy. He loves a nice soft toy he can hold in his hand. Julia's puppeteer is the mom of an autistic son so she is very familiar with the spectrum.  Julia will display many autistic traits, such as "stimming", fear of loud noises and verbal issues.  Of course as all of acquainted with autism know, each autistic child is different.

I am glad to see Julia come to Sesame Street. Will Baylor identify with Julia? Probably not but Margaret and Elliott will "get" her right away!  Julia will help others learn to understand a childhood disability that is not uncommon in this day and age.  And yes, I will  be watching Sesame Street because I want to meet Julia myself!


13 comments:

Sandy said...

That is a great idea.

Katie Clooney said...

Wow. Hat's off to Sesame Street for incorporating Julia into the gang. Can you tell I haven't watched SS in about 20 years? Have a great week, Arlene.

Arlene Grimm said...

Sandy I am all for more understanding of different disabilities. Katie I watch because of the grands and I think they are doing a great job with this story line. Margaret has to "explain" Baylor to her friends...this may help educate others about autism.

Mrs.T said...

I had read about this in the newspaper. A wonderful idea that can only be helpful!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I think I'll turn it on today too. I'd like to see her! Hugs!

Victoria Stankus said...

I'm glad Sesame Street is doing this! What a great way to help other kids understand.

Jedidja said...

Vey good. I have two sons with autism.

Arlene Grimm said...

Jedidja, I have a little grandson who is autistic. It is very hard on families. I know some who do not go out with their spectrum children because of the stares and the comments. I am hoping Julia will help increase awareness.

Terri D said...

Hats off to Sesame Street for tackling autism with a new puppet!!

Dianna said...

This is wonderful! Julia will be a huge blessing to many, I am sure. Thank you so much, Arlene, for sharing this.

Gina said...

Hooray for Sesame Street for reaching out to special needs children! ♥

Mari said...

I heard that Julia was coming and I love it!

Linda said...

Great idea!!! We have an autistic neighbor boy behind us. Deanie has a grandson and I think we all need to learn as much as we can!