Followers

Saturday, April 8, 2017

Saturday Stitch

My big stitching project for this year is Smoky Mountain Christmas. I have been trying to work on it on the weekends. It is such a big piece and has so many colors that it is not a piece I can take along to Grimmwood etc. I have to work on it in my stitchy place at the end of the sofa.

I finished both bears yesterday. In this picture I still had a bit of leg to finish but it is done and now on to doing all the back stitching of the ribbon etc. Then I can move my q snaps and I will work on Santa. I am not sure it will be done by Christmas. When it is done, it will be going to Grimmwood to display there since it is a Country piece of stitching.

Marvin and I are off to the funeral of a friend's mother. It is in Fayetteville, Tennessee about an hour from our home in Decatur. She was 93 years old and lived a life that blessed her family, friends and community.

And tomorrow will be Palm Sunday as well as my Daddy's birthday. I never forget special days that honor him even though he is in heaven.

If you are a historian you will know that April 9th is the day Robert E Lee surrendered at Appomattox Court House bringing an end to the Civil War.  It being my Daddy's birthday I could always remember this date on tests when I was in school!

It is a sunny day here in NoAla...some local Facebook friends posted pictures of hot air balloons flying this morning here in the River City. We have a big balloon festival on Memorial Day weekend and the local balloonists start sharpening up their skills in the spring.  Those beautiful balloons always bring a smile.

8 comments:

Mildred said...

God bless you as you remember your precious daddy.

That is a pretty cross stitch piece. The bears will be a nice touch for Grimmwood.

Wishing you safe travel to the funeral. My sympathy to the family and friends of this dear woman.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The stitching is gorgeous...I know dark colors are a challenge. I'll keep my eyes open for hot air balloons too. Maybe we'll see some here. Enjoy your weekend!

junkismine.blogspot.com said...

I did not know about Robert E. Lee's surrender on the 9th...interesting that it is your Dad's bday as well as Palm Sunday this year. Have a nice afternoon.

Mari said...

That cross stitch is going to be amazing! Can't wait to see the final product!

Sandy said...

That stitching piece is going to be a true treasure. Thinking of you as you miss your daddy.
I would love to see the hot air balloons. I know they are pretty.

Katie Clooney said...

Hello Arlene... love your stitch project! My daughter knows all about Robert E. Lee because she went to Washington & Lee U. Hope you have a great week.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Y'all....Happy Palm Sunday. So thankful for all the sweet blog friendships here in Nanaland.

Mary Hutchins said...

Love your cross stitch, it's going to be beautiful when finished. I don't do 'detailed' stitches anymore, I stay with very simple patterns. Even with my magnifying Ott light, stitching has become hard because of my bad eyesight. Have a great day!