Followers

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Books and Bayer

Well I just remembered that I am meeting a friend for coffee in the morning so I will write this post tonight. You can read it in the morning.:)

While enjoying R and R I read two good books, believe it or not.

I found this on the new book shelf but almost returned it to the stacks because it was set in Denmark. I have nothing against the Scandinavian countries but I tend to prefer to read what I know. Also turmoil regarding how to pronounce names keeps me up at night.( A Man Called Ove as a case in point). I love Ove but did not know how to say his name until I had finished the book.  The Lost Woman by Sara Blaedel is one of a series of books featuring detective, Louise Rick.  Clever writing and an interesting locale makes this book a four star winner. I never give out five star ratings unless I am really impressed by a novel.  This mystery revolves around the subject of euthanasia. What I liked about the writing of this author was her fair and balanced look at the subject. There was no preaching either way and no judgment. Each reader was allowed to retain their own beliefs on the subject and I found that very refreshing. I am going to be looking for more books featuring Louise.

I stumbled across this book while randomly roaming the stacks in the fiction section of our library. I will be reading more of Ms Simmons writing.  When I saw that Chevy Stevens endorsed it, that made me take this book home. It was a real page turner for me.  Ann is a well to do widow in her early 70s. She lives on the Main Line in Philadelphia but she is not the typical mother in law and grandmother. She does delight in spending time with her 8 year old granddaughter, Ellie. When Ann and Ellie stumble upon some old  photo albums, Ann's life comes flooding back to her. We find that Ann has led an interesting life as the scenes of the past once more flood her mind. And too, Ann is worried that the dementia that plagued her mother, is waiting for her.  So are her memories accurate?  I just love books like this that get to the heart of an individual.

I also saw that this book will be out in August.
If you have not read the Kinsey Milhone series by Sue Grafton, you have missed an alphabet's worth of mysteries.  This is one series that I have not tired of since I read A is for Alibi.

On to Bayer...

My back was giving me fits while on vacation so my sister, Leta, recommended this product. Oh My Goodness...it will always be in my medicine cabinet. It is wonderful.  It is Aspirin and Caffiene so I caution those of you with stomach problems, this may not be the best pain reliever for you. It is coated and you are told to take it with 8 oz of water to ensure it goes directly to your stomach.  Even with the caffeine in the product, it did not keep me awake at night after I took a dose. So if you are looking for some good OTC pain reliever, check out Bayer. ( There is also a caution about Reyes syndrome....it seems we have not heard of many instances of this side effect lately but it is something to consider.)

Well off to bed...have a Marvelous  Monday Friends.

7 comments:

Linda said...

I love Sue Grafton and have read every book! Will be looking forward to the new one.
I am loving The Little Paris Bookshop. I will mail it to you when I finish reading it.

Mrs.T said...

Thanks for the book reviews, Arlene. And the product review ... that pain reliever sounds like a good one!

Katie Clooney said...

Hi Arlene... Thanks for the book reviews! I totally agree with unfamiliar places and names altho I LOVED A Man Called Ove. Hope you have a great week.

Arlene Grimm said...

Linda that is so sweet of you!! That book is on my to be read list. Mrs T, as an old nurse I usually stick to Ibuprofen but for muscle pain, I think this is just a better product. Katie, I find myself spending more time on pronunciation than on enjoying the book but thankfully most of the names were easier than Ove's!!

Terri D said...

I haven't read any Sue Grafton for awhile. Thanks for the reminder! I've made note of a couple of these books and will look into the Kindle versions! I'm always happy to get a good book review! Wish I could take aspirin. When you are on blood thinners, acetaminophen is our only go-to for pain. :(

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I kept this post open yesterday to check and see if my library had these books as ebooks to check out...they don't. So then I was looking at them on Amazon. I know I would like them if you do. And I showed my hubby the aspirin that you recommended! Enjoy your day today! Hugs!

Gina said...

Love your ABC's of books. Thank you for the summer reading suggestions. :-)