Followers

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Out and About

On Sunday Marvin and I attended the Widows and Deacons Luncheon at our church. Each Deacon has a Widow or two under his care. If she needs help with something, she can call her deacon. To encourage a good working relationship between the deacons and widows the Womens Ministry hosts this yearly event.

Beautiful arrangements at each table.

A yummy buffet.

A cookie from Mel's Sweet Treats was our dessert.

As you can see everyone had a great time. One thing that struck me was how many younger widows we have in our church. Many are in their 40s and 50s.  The pretty lady in the black and white checked  dress with the hot pink cardigan is Marvin's widow. She has been a friend of ours for 20 years and lost her husband very suddenly 3 years ago.  She is in the process of selling her home and hopes to move back to Oklahoma where she was born and raised. She told us that her children are all grown and she feels that she would like to live near her family and college friends.   In addition to the deacons, all the pastors of the church attended the luncheon as well. It was a sweet day of honoring ladies who deserve recognition.

On Monday evening,  my friend, Lori, and I made our way to Huntsville to see Chonda Pierce.

We had a great time as Ms Pierce shared her life story of growing up in a Holiness Church family. Hair up and dress down was the motto there.:) Ms Pierce gave an encouraging message of trusting God through the storms of life and she had plenty. She is 59 and lost her husband three years ago as well. She was able to laugh about the things people say, "When did you lose your husband?" being a common one. She says it is not as if she went off and left him at Walmart.  You can find her video clips on You Tube if you would like to check her out.  Lori shared that when she was going through  rough time, she would watch Chonda on You Tube right before she went to bed each night as it encouraged her in her own valley.

Well since I slacked off cleaning to go to the Library and to stitch yesterday, it is make up day for me.  Y'all have a Wonderful Wednesday.

8 comments:

Mildred said...

That is a wonderful ministry for the widows. I appreciate you sharing with me about Chonda's testimony. Glad you had a fun day yesterday - don't work too hard today. The weather has been so nice.

Dianna said...

I love how your church takes care of their widows. The first thing I noticed when I got to the picture of the tables was how young a couple of the women looked and then I read your comment about the same thing.

Cranberry Morning said...

I loved this post. I think that's how deacons are supposed to operate in a church, being accessible and caring for those they serve. Inspirational!

Mrs.T said...


What a wonderful ministry your church has to its widows. It must be a tremendous blessing to these ladies just to know that the church cares and that there is someone they can call. I'm sure it's a blessing too to the deacons and their wives who help to care for the widows.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That's a great idea to have specific people that are there to help others. And a good time to have a nice meal and mingle too. I spent yesterday cleaning and doing laundry so today I am playing! (want to come over?) Hugs, Diane

Mari said...

That is a wonderful ministry!
I've heard clips of Chonda Pierce before. She really is funny!

Terri D said...

The Deacons helping widows in your church makes for an awesome ministry. The luncheon is a great way to strengthen bonds and trusting relationships. Hope you got your tasks caught up!!

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

We have a group of widows here in town, and one of them was telling me how amazed they are to see so many in their 40's and 50's. Such a frightening thing to go through, I'm glad your church cares for them. Glad you had fun at the conference/concert. Such fun to laugh with friends!