Followers

Saturday, May 6, 2017

Stitching Saturday

I have a story for you today. It is one that makes me remember that there are still many kind people in the world.

I joined a group on Facebook called The Prairie Schooler Students. It is a group of stitchers who love the designs of Prairie Schooler. I have loved this designer since the 1980s and I have stitched many of their charts.  Recently I became aware of a Village pattern that is very old and I must have missed it back in the day.

Here is a picture of it.


On Ebay it was going for about $30. I asked the ladies on Prairie Schooler Students if anyone had a chart they would be willing to sell.  A sweet lady sent me this chart for FREE.  I was just overwhelmed and I told her if I had a chart that she needed all she had to do was ask! Her only request was that I update her on my progress on Facebook Messenger.  As you can tell the chart looks very 1980s. Back then there were very few DMC colors to work with and most were very subtle.
I am bringing this piece into the 2000s by using some of the new over dyed variegated flosses.

Here is my progress so far.
I did change the "barn house" to a barn. I felt that the house on the chart was just very awkward looking with its window placement.  I will be getting this out today to continue working on it and I can hardly wait.

Here is an update on Smoky Mountain Christmas.

Santa has a face!! Did you know that there is a four inch snow cover on Mount LeConte in the Smokies this morning???? Yep...a real Blackberry Winter. Here in the south, when the blackberries bloom, we usually have a cold snap that we call Blackberry Winter. Well it was a true one this year.

And finally my progress on Coffee Quaker.

I think another rotation or two and this will be finished.  I am also working on some patriotic pieces so I will share them next week.

Don't forget today is Derby Day!  After  living in Louavul, Kentucky for four years, I can never forget Derby Day. Sadly I did not make a Derby Pie to celebrate! Have a good weekend friends.

12 comments:

Mildred said...

Beautiful cross stitch pieces. How kind of the lady to share the pattern with you. I admire your work so very much. My sis lives near Louisville (in IN) and keeps me posted on all the happenings. I always love to see Larry Birkhead and his daughter in their matching Derby outfits too (Anna Nicole's daughter). Wishing you a warm and cozy stitching day.

Mrs.T said...

Oh, Arlene, they are all simply beautiful. You do amazing work. I wish so much that I could find more time to stitch. But that is not the season I am in right now, I have to keep reminding myself.

Sandy said...

I love all three and now you make me almost want to join Facebook. Not quite yet! Everything is beautiful though.

Mary Hutchins said...

So sweet that your friend sent the pattern..and for free!! Love your stitching, always look forward to you sharing with us.

Jan said...

Your stitching is lovely! I've just recently discovered Prairie Schooler and I'm enjoying the Facebook page.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks friends...Jan and Sandy, that Prairie Schooler page on Facebook can get you into lots of trouble.lol

doodles n daydreams said...

Your cross stitch pieces are all great, I'm looking forward to seeing them finished.

Diana

Mari said...

I love your cross stitch and these are especially good! I really like the changes you've made in this Prairie Schooler.

Terri D said...

You do such beautiful work and I love seeing the projects you are working on. What a generous gift from your new friend!! I have said before that I just don't have the patience for close work like counted cross stitch, so I respect the dedication and talent of those who do!

Heather said...

They are beautiful pieces!

Gina said...

Arlene, how sweet of that lady to share with you. I love all your pieces. I'm looking forward to seeing the coffee one most of all. bwahahaha xo

Carol said...

What a wonderful lady--there really are some giving, generous people still out there! How refreshing...

Oh, I look forward to your color choices on this PS piece, Arlene. It is one I own, but haven't stitched--maybe I'll copy yours :)