Followers

Sunday, May 21, 2017

On Grimmwood Pond

We are back home today after five days at Grimmwood.  It was so nice to spend my birthday in my happy place. Thanks to all of you who sent me sweet birthday wishes.  I hope to get back to posting tomorrow.

This picture was taken one afternoon as I was sitting on the porch. If you look closely across the pond, you will see a Catalpa tree in bloom. Actually there are three of them blooming right now. In the south they may also be called Catawba trees. Years ago men planted these trees by ponds and lakes as they attract a caterpillar that is prized fishing lure.   We have seen lots of wildlife around us at Grimmwood. I need to start a nature diary to keep there. One night we were sitting on the porch at dusk along with Leta and Bruce, when a big bird flew into a tree near the porch. We thought it was an owl but when it flew out, it was a stork.  Leta said that a stork built a nest in one of those trees several years ago and she has some pictures of it.  We saw two snakes swimming across the pond one afternoon. Supposedly, this summer will be a bad one for snakes!!  I have to admit they are not my favorite of the wild life in North Georgia.

Well it is almost time for my nap!! I will play catch up on reading blogs this afternoon.

10 comments:

Mildred said...

Beautiful, peaceful scene. Happy you enjoyed your birthday trip to Grimmwood. How fun to see the stork.

Katie Clooney said...

Happy Birthday, Arlene! Any day is a bad day for snakes!! Enjoy your week.

Mari said...

Welcome back! Glad you had a nice time. The view is lovely.
We had a Catalpa tree in our yard when I was young. We loved the big leaves and the beans they dropped. You don't see them around much anymore - at least not in our area!

Terri D said...

I look forward to hearing more about your birthday respite at Grimmwood!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Happy Birthday sweet lady! I'm so glad you had a nice birthday in a place you love. What a VIEW!!! Hugs!

Heather said...

Welcome back! I'm glad to hear you had a good time. That is a lovely view. Looks like a perfect vacation spot!

Linda said...

I love your Happy Place and remember when you were first starting out with it!
A nature journal sounds wonderful! I think I will bring one with me next trip down here to the ranch.
I saw an owl last week down here. Lots to see in the country. LOVE your view from the porch!!

Mrs.T said...

A nature diary sounds like a fantastic idea, Arlene! Our extended family's place on a pond has a notebook for guests to write in, and many write about their wildlife sightings.

A stork! I can't imagine!

Hope you had a truly wonderful birthday! I intended to send a card (even though you would receive it late), but time got away from me.

Sandy said...

I am glad y'all were able to get away and have some time with family and the woods. Nothing like the woods for soothing the soul. I need to do a nature diary as well. I was just thinking something similar this weekend. We were at the farm on Saturday and everything is just so green and pretty, then we were at our cabin in Dadeville today. I love the different kinds of trees up there. Jeff had a interesting adventure with a snake this weekend. I will share later.

Gina said...

Snakes!! Yikes! Please do be careful. ♥