Followers

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Let's Visit L I J

While in Georgia last week we went to visit Ellijay, Georgia. It is about 19 miles from my home town and what a cute little town it is. When I was growing up, the only time we went to Ellijay was to visit the funeral home when some of our Tankersley family passed away. I would not have recognized present day Ellijay.  It has become quite the tourist destination. Located in the mountains, its downtown area is filled with shops and restaurants. I am still scratching my head regarding why my hometown cannot emulate them.   It is very apparent that Atlantans have found this lovely place. Many have vacation homes there and some even commute to the big city thanks to Highway 515 a four lane highway that makes it easy to get to the mountains.

First we had lunch at Jolly Roger's

We totally passed it by because we were looking for a free standing restaurant. No no no...it is a very modest place tacked onto the end of a convenience store. However...their sea food is fresh and tasty. It is flown in from the Gulf...the shrimp that is. And when I go to a sea food restaurant, I always get shrimp!! By the time we left there was a long line of people waiting to get inside. I think they had 10 tables total. It is hard to enjoy your shrimp with people eying your plate with glee.

The town is dotted with pretty venues.

There were lots of antique stores. I did find a walking stick in one establishment.

I need something to keep me from sliding in the gravel at Grimmwood. I also found some lovely candles made in Ellijay.

I was not going to go all the way down this street but Marvin encouraged me to keep walking...a soap store.


Green Willow Soaps are made in Ellijay and I came away with two bars.

The blue is to use as a shampoo for white/gray hair. Silky Legs soap is one of their best sellers. It is to be used instead of shave cream. I plan to try them both tomorrow.

Finally after all that shopping I needed Ice Cream.

Moo Bears had a delicious chocolate ice cream called Bear Tracks. Marvin had a  caramel ice cream that looked good as well.

I thought this little store was cute.
Capitalizing on the weird spelling!!  I need to go back and get a magnet for my fridge at Grimmwood.

If you are in the north central Georgia area, check out Ellijay! It is a great day trip.

7 comments:

Sandy said...

I love little shops like that. It is always fun to browse through the clever and UNIQUE things. Jeff and I are heading out this weekend for a wedding in Athens, GA, but we will take a few days for a little R&R. I have been looking for a few places to go near our Dadeville cabin. We are headed to Columbus one of the days for something I have wanted to do for a long time. I will share later.

Terri D said...

Tucking this one away for future reference! I love little towns like that and all cute shops and yummy places to eat. Thanks for sharing your day!

Arlene Grimm said...

Sandy we lived in Athens for several years when Marvin did his post doc work there. We actually lived in Hull, Ga. Lots to do there.Terri if you come to North Ga let me know and we will meet up.

Mary Hutchins said...

Sounds like you had a fun day. Mr D and I love places like this, and to just stroll along taking in whatever comes next. Love the soaps, especially the one for gray hair!! lol I love my gray and I'm always looking for a shampoo that makes it sparkle!

Mrs.T said...

What a lovely little town! If we ever get to the South again, we will definitely consider a visit here.

Gina said...

What a sweet out of the way place! Love the walking stick - you can whack snacks with it too! ♥

Mari said...

I love little towns like this - glad you had fun!