Followers

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Saturday Stitches

I love all the nice comments I get from you sweet ladies when I post  pictures of my stitching. But I must admit, there are tools I use that make cross stitching a pleasure  rather than an exercise in frustration.  I thought I might share some of these tools today.

These are Q Snaps. When I started using this tool for stretching out my fabric to stitch on, I was just amazed. They are so much nicer than the hoops I had used for years. It is simply a piece of tubing with clamps that hold the fabric in place.  Q Snaps are light weight and no more moving a hoop constantly.

And here is my real secret weapon.

A magnifier...it clamps well on the Q Snaps. ( I have never used mine on a hoop as shown here.  I would not be able to stitch without my magnifier. In fact I purchased a new one for myself and I am gifting my old one to my sister, Kristi.

A three inch measuring square that allows me to start my stitching at the top of the pattern rather than in the middle. It is all a matter of choice but I prefer to start at the top and stitch down.  Most framers want a three inch margin around the piece in order to pull the fabric smoothly for framing.

Yes these are hair clamps that I purchased at Ross. They are great for holding extra fabric out of the way while you stitch. Simply roll up the extra fabric and attach it to the Q snap with these hair bobs. One of the neatest things I have learned from Floss Tube.

My need tin is magnetized so no more losing needles! And on the right is a Needle minder that attaches to your piece of stitching by magnets...no more losing needles in the sofa when you need to stop and rethread. I always put my needle on the arm of the sofa while I prepared my thread. And then I could not find it because it blended into the sofa and spent many minutes looking for my lost needle. Now my needle perches on this needle minder.  Being a Harry Potter fan I could not resist this needle minder, I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

This is an Ort Jar. Orts are tiny bits of thread. When you clip extra threads from the back of your stitching, keep a little jar near by to catch those bits of floss. It really is a little thing that makes clean up easy.

This is my stitching buddy that I take along to Grimmwood or anywhere I am stitching. (Do you think I have enough of those clamps??) My magnifier and my Ort Jar fit neatly in the middle.

I did learn something new from Yvonne, The Night Owl Stitcher, on Floss tube.  DMC is not the most popular thread any more...overdyed, variegated flosses have become all the rage. I do not use them very often because they can be a bit pricy. Every now and then I pry open my pocket book and buy some skeins. Yvonne told us that when stitching with the variegated threads, stitch randomly so that you do not end up with "stripes" that can sometimes happen with the variegation. I recently had that striped effect show up in some stitching so now I know how to prevent that from happening again.

Well that is my stitching post for Saturday. Have a good weekend friends.

8 comments:

Mary Hutchins said...

Loved your post today. Some great tips, some I already do and some I'm sure going to do!

Aritha said...

I love this post and what a cute stitching buddy!!!

Linda said...

I love your projects and you answered a lot of the questions I've had in my mind!
I brought my stitching with me this time to the ranch. Haven't done any of it yet but I will. I bought a scrap booking tote at a Goodwill where things were sold by the pound. I don't scrapbook but I bet I could use it for my stitching!
You have inspired me to take it up again!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's nice to see these tools and hear about the tips. I did a lot of cross stitch years ago but I wouldn't know where to begin now. I did buy some colorful thread to make bracelets last week. Love the pretty colors! Hugs, Diane

Sandy said...

I have learned so much from you dear one. I had been gone so long. Q Snaps are much better than the hoops and what would I do without my magnifier.

Mari said...

I love your stitching! Those are some great products. I really like those Qsnaps too.

Terri D said...

Very interesting! My mom always used a hoop, but I doubt those Q Snaps weren't even invented back then. She has been gone since 1995. I love your stitching photos!!

Gina said...

Arlene, you are so smart and organized! Love all your tools. I think I'm going to need a magnifier on everything soon!