Followers

Saturday, June 3, 2017

Saturday Stitching

Good Morning...another Stitching Post.  I have two patriotic pieces I am working on...stitching madly to get them finished by the middle of June.  One is Lady Liberty and she will make the deadline I am sure. But I just started on this one...

I have always loved Betsy Ross. I was first introduced to her when I was a child and I devoured these old biographies which were at the library in my hometown.


I remembered from my reading years ago that Betsy was a Quaker. Upon refreshing my memory I found out that she was one of 16 children born to her parents, nine lived to adulthood. Betsy disappointed her parents when she married an Anglican.  She and Mr Ross set up an upholstery business in Philadelphia. This is where she met a customer who requested she make a flag for him. It was George Washington.  Mr Washington wanted the stars to have six sides but Betsy, ever the seamstress, talked him out of that. Five sided stars are easier to cut and stitch Sir.

This is a replica of the flag Betsy whipped up.

The Little House Needleworks pattern that I am working on, includes Betsy's house, which you can still find today in Philadelphia.

I think the pattern looks just like the house.

Here is where I am in my stitching, pardon the wrinkled linen.


After Mr Ross died, Betsy remarried, was widowed and married for a third time. But she will always be Betsy Ross in our history books.  Gotta love a needleworker who stood the test of time.

12 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I learned to love biographies at an early age too. Real life can be more interesting that any of the 'made up' stories. You asked about bird books...the best one we use is the Sibley Guide to Birds but I was also recommend that you find a book just for your area. It will have birds, critters and wildflowers. Usually we see them in gift shops at the Parks we go to. It's so much fun to identify what we see! Lovely post today! Hugs!

Mrs.T said...

Beautiful work, Arlene, and I so enjoyed learning more about Betsy Ross. Somewhere I read -- and I know I wrote a page about it in one of my summer devotional books for kids -- that Betsy took a piece of paper (or cloth) and folded, then cut it into a 5-pointed star to show George Washington how much easier it was to cut. Looked for it briefly but can't find it.

I have always enjoyed biographies, too. We always had loads of books in our home -- a fact I am finding truer than I knew as I've worked at sorting out books in my dad's home. They had them, literally, in almost every room.

Linda said...

How interesting! You combine your love of history and reading with your needlework art!
I'm still looking for my missing counted cross stitch project. Now I've lost the book I was reading!

Mary Hutchins said...

Interesting post today, I enjoyed learning more about Betsy Ross!

Sandy said...

I am liking it. I absolutely loved reading biographies. We moved to town aka Brewton right before my sixth grade year. The most wonderful thing about the move was the public library. Up until that point, I had attended a rural school with book mobiles and Mom always let me do a book order from Weekly Reader. I spent lots of hours in that public library. Mom was pretty strict, but she would drop me off and I was in heaven. I read a whole series of biographies pretty quickly.

Mildred said...

Such a pretty cross stitch piece. I always enjoyed reading about Betsy Ross, too.

Mari said...

I loved reading biographies as a child too. I remember our library had one on Squanto that I read numerous times. I always liked Betsy Ross too. I really like that pattern, and I am sure you will finish it on time!

Terri D said...

Your pattern really does look like the real house! How interesting!! I always love seeing the progress you are making with your stitching projects!

tonyamay said...

How interesting, I didn't know the history behind her. Love that house.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Y'all....I love history and when you combine history and stitching, I am very happy!! Of course, I am getting so old that my childhood is "history"now!!lol

Gina said...

Betsy Ross was a busy woman - stitching and getting married 3 times. :-)

Love your stitchery! ♥

Carol said...

I was a big biography reader, too, when I was young. The library was right around the corner from my house so I was determined to read every biography they had in the children's section from A to Z! I only got part way through the C's so I appreciate you filling me in on Betsy Ross, Arlene... Just love the little stitching, too :)