Followers

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Throw Back Thursday

I was browsing Facebook the other day and I saw this post.


I had totally forgotten about these cute little change purses that were all the rage when I was a child.  Does anyone happen to have one of these gems? Alas I tossed mine many years ago.  I would pick the red or the pink change purse if I were choosing today. I think I had a blue one in a galaxy far far away!

I snapped a picture of this cute Doodlebug, as we called Volkswagons.  It was parked outside an ice cream store in Ellijay. Isn't it just TOO CUTE. I would not mind having one of these to go along with my red change purse.

And the final Throw Back....

My friend, Susan, picked these up from another friend who was cleaning out her mother's house. Susan shared them with several of her crafty friends. The ones I received were from the 70s and 80s. My sweet Mama G subscribed to this magazine and I remember looking through them when I visited her home in Savannah. It was fun to look back at the various crafts that were popular....candlewicking, quilling and the like. There were many crochet and knitting patterns in the WorkBasket. I looked through them then took them to Chatsworth to give to my Aunt Rachel who still crochets quite a bit. I know she will get a kick out of them.

I have to admit, looking back makes me feel a bit old and I realize that I have seen many things come and go and then come back around!! Hope you enjoyed a walk down memory lane.

7 comments:

Mildred said...

I remember the change purses; my friend had a bright yellow one. In jr. college, a popular guy had a vintage dark green VW! I tried my hand at candlewicking many years ago; I was not very good! lol

Karen said...

I remember those change purses! Came in handy for lunch money when school lunch was 25 cents! We had an old VW bug before they put gas gauges in them. Not a good thing for teenage drivers LOL

Sandy said...

I had one of those change purses. I love seeing old magazines of any kind. It always takes you back.

Mrs.T said...

My great-aunt Bessie subscribed to Workbasket and I ended up with many of her older issues. Years ago, I finally went through them and tore out the few things I thought I would use, plus embroidery transfers that used to come in the center of the issues. Then I tossed the rest. I have actually used some of the transfers!

And I crocheted several toddler size sweaters from a Workbasket pattern, too. I'd forgotten that! They had a Fair Isle look to them.

Terri D said...

I think most of us, of an age, had one of those change purses at one time or another. I think mine was black. My mom subscribed to that magazine, or she had a stack of them from a friend because I remember seeing them around the house. My mom was a multi-crafter. So talented!! She did it all and even made things up sometimes. I enjoy 'looking back' now and then. It is usually quieter and more civilized 'back there' than what we see out the window today. Hugs!!

Gina said...

Arlene, I didn't like those coin purses. They would pinch your finger if you weren't fast enough! I don't think I've seen that magazine before. I wonder if it was a Southern thing? xo

Mari said...

What fun memories! I think I could use one of those change purses right now!