Followers

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Jane and Lucy

After watching many Braves Baseball Games and  Wimbledon Tennis matches, I was tired of sports. Since Marvin cannot climb the stairs to the Man Cave, we have been sharing the tv in the living room.  And while I am glad the Braves have turned a corner and are doing well, I was ready for a change.

I turned on my Floss tube online and watched that for a bit.  Then I became intrigued with a suggested video...Jane Austen Behind Closed Doors.  It just popped up as a video I might enjoy as I have watched many Lucy Worsley presentations on You Tube via the BBC.

  Jane Austen died two hundred years ago today so it is very appropriate to take a look at one of my favorite authors.  She was only 41 years old and probably died of a disease that could be easily treated  today.   But before we remember Jane, let's meet Lucy.


 

Here is the lovely Lucy. She is a historian, Royal curator and tv hostess. She makes history come  alive. You may have seen her on PBS  presenting The Six Wives of Henry the Eighth. After I watched this series I wanted to see more history with Lucy.


Her one hour program is a must for any Austen fan. Lucy takes us to the houses where Jane lived, describes Jane's complicated family life and shares with us the inspiration for Jane's novels. Sadly Jane did not live to enjoy her popularity as a novelist.  Her novels sold well but as she sold the rights for the first works, she never received a royalty  for Pride and Prejudice. She did wise up a bit and refused to sell the rights of later novels.  I enjoyed seeing the houses where Jane lived, her visits to Bath and Lyme. Her position in life and her travels definitely had an impact on the themes of her books.

So if you have a lazy afternoon with nothing to do, go to You Tube and check out this interesting program.

6 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'll look for this program...I'm a huge Jane Austen fan and so is my hubby. Enjoy your day!

Mary said...

Thanks for the suggestion of the show, I will certainly watch it. I never heard of this show, the BBC certainly has us beat for quality tv.

Sandy said...

I will have to check this out. Jeff controls the remote most always, so I have learned to pretend I am watching, but I put in one side of my headphones and watch Youtube:)
My latest find believe it or not is the original Peyton Place. Some guy named Soaps n Things has uploaded all of the original ones from 1964 on there. I have watched 1964 and am into 1965. I only remember Return to Peyton Place from my childhood since I was born in 1960. It is so funny...we thought it was so scathing. It is incredibly mild compared to today. In fact, crazy mild. My how incrementalism has us where we are today. That along with how to videos I am set for something to watch. I set up Peyton Place and watch on my iPad while I am cleaning.

Terri D said...

I really enjoyed her in the Wives. I'll have to check this out. Thanks for the tip!!

Dianna said...

Thank you so much for this heads up, Arlene! I will definitely check it out!

Mari said...

I would enjoy this. I like Lucy, having seen her on a few things before. I'm also a fan of Jane Austen. Thanks!