Followers

Friday, July 21, 2017

The Way

I am a Protestant but there is a little part of me that is Catholic.  I enjoy watching EWTN on tv and I have read a lot of good books by Catholic theologians that I was totally unfamiliar with from my religious upbringing. Francis De Sales is a favorite of mine along with Pope Benedict.   One of our Catholic cousins recommended the movie, The Way, to me several years ago and I loved it.

This movie stars Martin Sheen as a father who takes up his son's pilgrimage after the son's untimely death on the trail.   The Way refers to the Camino De Santiago which is a pilgrimage that believers have been making since the middle ages. It is not just a short walk either...


It is a walk that takes you from France to Spain where you will reach the church that holds the relics of the apostle St James. Legend has it that his disciples placed him in a boat after his martyrdom and sent his body back to the place he had preached the gospel.  


A shell is the symbol for The Way. You will see sea shells marking the trail and many pilgrims tie a sea shell to their backpacks.

You also have a passport that you carry with you.

It is stamped at different hostels along The Way. At the end of the pilgrimage you turn this in and receive a certificate stating you have completed the walk.

I was excited to see that EWTN is doing a virtual pilgrimage that allows me to sit comfortably in my armchair and follow the pilgrims online.


I have enjoyed watching online and I hope they will do a documentary of the trip when it is completed.   If you are looking for a an inspiring movie, check out The Way.

10 comments:

Dianna said...

Very interesting, Arlene. I want to check that out. Thank you so much for sharing about The Way.

Mary Hutchins said...

That is so interesting and I will make an effort to watch it! I am Baptist but I also will sometimes watch EWTN.

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

This sounds like a good movie, and with all this heat and rain, we're triying to find movies to watch!

Gina said...

Arlene, I have this on my list of movies to see. I think I'll bump it up to the top! :-)

Mari said...

I never heard of The Way or the movie. Thanks for sharing - I'm going to look it up.

Arlene Grimm said...

I hope all of you who watch the Way will enjoy it. It is a movie that I have watched several times. I actually found a dvd of it at Dollar General for $3. So now I have a copy at home and at Grimmwood.

Terri D said...

I'll look for this movie Arlene. Thanks for the review and recommendation!

Terri D said...

We are watching it right now!

Arlene Grimm said...

Oh I hope you enjoy it Terri...it is a favorite of mine.

Cranberry Morning said...

I've heard of that pilgrimage from friends in England. I'm going to try to find this movie. Thanks, Arlene!