Followers

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Using What You Have

This week I finally put away most of my patriotic pieces and I was puzzling over a centerpiece for my dining room table.  As I have said before, I am trying to get rid of a lot of those extras that tend to clutter up my home.  I did not want to go shopping at TJ Maxx, where I KNOW I would find something so I "shopped" my house and my craft room where I store extra decorative items. I came up with this...

I took two cake plates I had in the china cabinet, stacked them on top of each other,  then began playing.   It reminded me of playing as a little girl, how we enjoyed making a play house outside in the hot Georgia summers.  Our imaginations and cast offs from our mothers could create a castle in our minds.   I did find a bag full of mossy pieces and other decorative items that I had stored in the craft room. I put them on the plates and I liked the effect but I needed something for the Topper. I cleaned my little silver bowl that was a wedding gift 40 years ago and popped a great big fake pear inside.  If you know me, you know Pears are one of my favorite things.  My brass candle sticks, one on either side, finished the late summer look.  I used what I had and I saved money! It was a Win Win.

I will leave you with this sign that spoke to me this week on Facebook.

It costs us nothing to say hello to a stranger, hold the door for an elderly person or a young mom with her hands full or just smile!  We can each do one small thing to make the world a better place.

8 comments:

Sandy said...

Removing my patriotic pieces is on my agenda today as well. I had my small group over for supper last night, so I left it all up for that. I liked what you did. I am going to do the same. My computer is in the shop so I have wanted to type a full post on my iPad. Horpfully, I will get it back today or tomorrow and jump back in.

Arlene Grimm said...

Oh Sandy...those computers. We cannot live without them. I have never typed a blog post on my iPad. I am old and I prefer to type. Who knew those typing classes would pay off in the future. I believe I could make an A in typing if I took a speed test today.:) I am still waiting to get Liberty from the framer so I guess she will go up next year. I am telling myself I will not do fall until October this year. I do not know if MYSELF will listen though. Marvin and I sat down to dinner the other night and I had set the table with our Desert Rose and your pretty napkins. It was so nice. I am determined to use my nice things more and more.

Mary Hutchins said...

I have been doing some de-cluttering too. Your centerpiece looks great, amazing what we can find when we shop at home!!

Robin in Virginia said...

What a fabulous idea to use and make do with what you had! I can envision your centerpiece using the cake plates and the silver for fall with gourds, leaves and acorns. What a wonderful sign you shared!

Carol said...

What a great looking centerpiece, Arlene. I leave my patriotic pieces up through Labor Day--just too lazy to figure out something new I guess :)

And the sign is just perfect--love the sentiment!

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. Keep posting such kind of information on your page.
Im really impressed by it.[X-N-E-W-L-I-N-S-P-I-N-X]Hey there,
You have performed a fantastic job. I'll definitely digg
it and for my part suggest to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

Dianna said...

A beautiful centerpiece created with things that you already had at home! love it! I also love the image at the end of the post! SO much truth there!

Terri D said...

I LOVE your new centerpiece! Very creative and beautiful! I also love the sign and its meaning. You are so right about just small acts of kindness. Amen.