Let's drift along in my stream of consciousness this week. Grab a cup of coffee and settle in.
1. I am old. Marvin and I went to see The Greatest Showman over the weekend. Spoilers included so if you have not seen it, move on to No2. We had received a movie gift card from some dear friends and we have not had a chance to use them until this weekend. We drove to Huntsville...purchased our tickets only to find out the only available seats were on the second row. Fortunately this is the nicer theater with recliners so we were able to watch the movie without too much bother. I have had heard nothing but raves for this movie so I was all hyped up for it. No one told me the music was POP...set in the early 1800s. The dancing was also from modern times and not the early 1800s. I am a nerd. I get really offended when the music does not match the period. Remember that Barnum introduced Jenny Lind to America...well she did not sing opera. Oh No...I like Michelle Williams and Hugh Jackman but they were a bit long in the tooth for their roles in this movie. HD shows every wrinkle my friends. On a positive note, there was a moral to the story. Money and fame does not buy happiness and at the end of the movie, Barnum goes home to his family allowing his young partner to take over as ringmaster. So I can only give this movie three stars in my opinion. Tell me what you think if you saw the movie.
2. I was looking at our extended forecast for here in NoAla and it looks like the really super cold weather is over for us. I kept seeing highs in the 50s and even a few 60s. Yippee. Right now Mardi Gras is in full swing here in Alabama. Mobile is the home of Mardi Gras here in the South and they have some big parades going on right now. Ash Wednesday will fall on Valentines Day this year.
3. If you enjoy receiving a free cross stitch pattern check out HandsonDesign.biz. Cathy Haberman, the designer, does a freebie each year in honor of her wedding anniversary. She just released the new pattern today and I printed it off. I cannot resist freebies. Also Ms Haberman is graciously giving a free button for the piece to the first 100 SASE she receives at her business. Mine went out in todays mail so fingers crossed I will receive one of the sweet turquoise buttons.( you will find the pattern on her blog that is listed under the header of her business page).
4. I have to say that Victoria on PBS continues to be one of my favorite programs. This week chronicled the Potato famine in Ireland. I found that very interesting as some of my ancestors came to America as a result of this calamity.
5. I am prepping my house for painting of my living room, dining room and kitchen. Why did I think this was a good idea? I am going to love it but I have spent most of the day taking down pictures and doodads. I am coming to the conclusion that I have WAY too many. I am painting the main rooms, Lenox Tan by Benjamin Moore while my alcove, which is visible from the living room is paprika. I am gong to move some paintings around once everything is completed. I just want to look at some different things for a while.
6. Valentines Day is on the horizon. I have purchased cards for my grands from Dollar Tree this year. There are many cute cards and they are only $1. I was looking for a card for Marvin at Walmart the other day. I saw one that was very sweet...$8. Nope, whole lot of nope on that one. I can buy him a lot of Butterfingers ( his favorite candy bar) for $8.
7.My friend, Robin, passed away this week. As I was reading her obituary in the paper, I could not help but think that it said very little about all the ways Robin made a difference in our church and our community. Robin saw a need for tutoring of children who lived in a local low income housing apartment complex. So she went to the manager of the complex and asked if she could start after school tutoring. The manager was more than happy to accommodate Robin, providing a nice room for the tutors and the children. Robin recruited people from our church and this ministry really made a difference in many lives. She never sat by and waited for someone else to take up a problem and deal with it. I admired her for that. I have known Robin for about 15 years and I will miss her. Cherish the time you have with your friends.
Hope everyone is having a good week!! Thanks for dropping by.